Website migration, National Assembly for Wales
Method4 completed a complex migration project for the National Assembly for Wales.
The Assembly is a democratically elected body that represents the interests of Wales and its people. It is critical that they maintain their website so it’s up-to-date, interactive and user friendly with bilingual functionality.
- To move the existing website built over a 10 year period in the OpenText Livelink content management system into SharePoint 2013
- Migrate over 10,000 pages of content and 100,000 documents in both English and Welsh
- To replace the existing embedded Google search engine with a custom search facility that would allow members of the public to search and find content with ease
- To streamline the current petition process for members of the public
- To move the Assembly onto a .wales domain without disruption to users
- The entire website content was successfully migrated onto SharePoint 2013
- Approximately 1 million forwarding rules were applied from the old site to the new SharePoint site to ensure old links continued to work
- Bespoke .NET controls were developed to enhance and deliver the site and improve key website features
- The new system is easier for the content editors at the Assembly to manage
- Website content can be easily tagged with metadata to enhance searching
- The bespoke search engine and streamlined petition process has helped develop a more user friendly service
- The .wales domain allows the Assembly to lead by example in promoting Welsh business